Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Edwardian Girl Tea Party TUTORIAL!!!

Hi all! Cynthia Anderson, here again to take you on another little fabric journey! This week's tutorial is a fabric mini-quilt using Frenchkissed's "Edwardian Girl Tea Party " postcard. It was SEW MUCH FUN TO MAKE!!!

1. I took a sheet of TAP (transfer artist's paper) and printed the image onto it. I wanted the postcard to appear just as it did on the computer, so I first took it into my Photoshop program and 'flipped it horizontal' to keep the text reading in the right direction. After printing, I then adhered it to muslin by iron-on transfer. Mine here is about 8.5 by 10 inches. For some reason, this one came out a little purple-ish from my printer, so I antiqued it with a wash of Nickel Azo Gold (Golden's paints.) Next, I cut brown felt and batting to the same size as my muslin. I left 2 extra inches at the top to play with.

2. I layed down the felt, batting on top of this, muslin with photo on top of this. It makes a little fabric sandwich, which I then sewed together by using a basic straight stitch all around the photo.

3. I brought out the features of each of the characters by adding a little acrylic paint to their eyes, cheeks and so forth. Anywhere there was some faded color, I bumped it up a notch or two with my paints. 4. I thread-painted a few things into the photo such as, the trim to the tea pot, giant tea cup, top of doll's head and the flower doily on the table. I then found some ribbons that I used to frame the piece. After sewing the initial ribbons in place (as in previous photo) I found a quote that I thought fitting for this particular photo, printed it out on printer fabric paper, color washed it with pink acrylic and sewed it to the top. I then found the white and silver ribbon and added that around the borders. 5. I bunched up some cut black sheer ribbon and made a little bow tie for the dog, which I machine sewed into place. Next, I added a pink flower to the little girl's hair, by hand sewing it on. I had an old piece of fabric with sequins that used to be something to wrap around one's neck. Since I never use it anymore, it looked perfect to repurpose for this project. Strips were cut at the same length and sewn into place. 6. Lastly, I punched a hole in the fabric sandwich on either side of the top so I could add fabric buttons with metal brad attachments on their backs. A bamboo stick was added through the top loops and voila: another adorable fabric creation!!! Happy Wednesday, and happy crafting all!!!
If you like what you've seen here please feel free to come and visit me again at my blog, or have some fun in my ETSY store!!!
Cynthia E. Anderson
Original Cyn Design
http://www.etsy.com/shop/originalcyn01






Vintage French Postcard Downloads and more:
Trishia Jacobs

No comments: